The Palliative Approach and End of Life Care
For workers in community and aged care services
Duration: 35 mins 26 sec
This video will assist workers in community and aged care services with the knowledge, skills and values required when caring for older clients at the end of their life using a palliative approach.
It provides information that workers will need in a sensitive manner and provides communication skills for the main issues that workers may come across in their work.
This resource will assist workers to:
- understand some key terms and concepts in a palliative approach to caring
- observe, record and report any changes in a client’s condition
- engage clients in clear and open communication
- discuss spiritual and cultural issues in an open and non-judgemental way
- provide emotional support to clients and their family using effective communication skills
- identify and reflect on their own emotional responses to death and dying.
The resource also comes with a Trainer Guide and support materials that can be customised for different working and training situations.
The Trainer Guide includes:
- information on how to use the video
- the script for the video
- questions for discussion which are designed to help learners identify the key points in each video chapter
- handouts for learners which contain information and activities focussed on the communication skills covered in the video, and suggestions for using them
- mapping of the video to the unit Deliver care services using a palliative approach
- strategies for trainers to support learners with LLN needs.
The Palliative Approach and End of Life Care complements the video “Understanding Ageing” developed by Fran Haarsma Productions and Calvary Silver Circle. Funded under the Workplace English Language and Literacy (WELL) Program by the Australian Government Department of Industry.
“This is a great resource – very clear communication, comprehensively covered and great involvement of clients and carers”.
Odette Waanders, CEO
Palliative Care Victoria
- Client Choices
- Physical Needs
- Psychological Needs
- Social Needs
- Spiritual Needs
- Communication with the Client
- Communication with the Family
- Communication with your Supervisor
- Cultural Differences
- Advance Care Plans and Advance Care Directives
- Looking After Yourself
Resource Material for:
The resource can be used to support the delivery of the unit CHCPAL001 Deliver care services using a palliative approach from the Community Services Training Package for the following qualification:
- CHC33015 Certificate III in Individual Support
The resource can also be used to support the delivery of CHCSS00105 Palliative approach skill set.
Online streaming subscription
- Watch at any time from any web browser
- Unlimited views during your subscription period
- Share with your team/students via private link
- Embed in your learning environment (PRO subscription)
- 24 Hours $5.95(for preview only and cannot be used for training)
- 12 Months $135.00
- 12 Months PRO $315.00
Buy on DVD
All prices inclusive of GST
Please note that DVDs are in PAL format