What Works for LLN video library
What Works for LLN is an online library of free language, literacy and numeracy (LLN) training and professional development videos.
The What Works for LLN videos are for:
- VET practitioners
- supporting the delivery of LLN specific units such TAELLN411 Address Adult Language, Literacy and Numeracy skills
- LLN professional development for RTOs and their non-training staff
- learners undertaking qualifications such as TAE40110 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment/TAE40116 Certificate IV Training and Assessment
- trainers, managers, team leaders and supervisors in the workplace.
What Works for LLN was funded under the now closed Workplace English Language and Literacy (WELL) Program by the Australian Government Department of Education and Training. All the What Works for LLN videos were produced by Ideas That Work.
Even though the WELL program has closed, Ideas That Work will continue to host these What Works for LLN videos on our website. We are committed to making these LLN videos freely available to trainers and learners to view online, download or embed into e-learning software or a Learning Management System.
There are 33 videos in the What Works for LLN video library and they are grouped into the following three series.
1. LLN in training and assessment
These videos can be used as LLN professional development for VET practitioners, workplace trainers and non-training staff in an RTO. They also support the delivery of the unit TAELLN411 Address Adult Language, Literacy and Numeracy Skills. They cover such things as what LLN skills are, why they are important, how to identify learners’ LLN skills, the LLN requirements of the job and when is specialist LLN support needed.
These videos present more in depth information and good practice examples to help build vocational trainers and assessors capacity to support learners with LLN needs. This includes tips for VET and LLN practitioners working together, accessing LLN support, designing and customising learning and assessment materials and practical examples of how to develop learners’ LLN core skills.
2. LLN in the workplace
These videos can be used to help managers, team leaders, supervisors and workplace trainers understand what workplace literacy and numeracy is and why it is important. They show some of the potential risks if workplace literacy and numeracy is not addressed and how it affects every business and workforce at all levels.
The videos also highlight the return on investment, when workplace literacy and numeracy is addressed, resulting in greater efficiency and productivity and a more skilled and engaged workforce. The Unitywater case study explains how they integrated workplace literacy and numeracy into a new training program and the measurable and successful outcomes.
Ways you can access these videos:
- You can watch any of the videos online by selecting “view video” in the video library.
- Download the individual videos and to save on them your computer to watch later or incorporate into your own training materials or online learning program. The download button for the Mp4 video files are located on each individual LLN video page.
- Reference this website in your own training or professional development materials.
- The Commonwealth of Australia as copyright owner of this material has applied the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Australia Licence to this work. You can then therefore embed links to individual videos from the What Works in LLN video library into e-learning software or a Learning Management System such as Moodle on a noncommercial basis. Go to the individual LLN video page and the embed button is in the top right hand corner on the player.
- There are a limited number of copies of all the What Works videos available on DVD for those people who have a need to access them this way. Please contact Ideas That Work by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org (with What Works for LLN DVDs in the email subject title).
© Commonwealth of Australia 2015
This work is copyright. Except where otherwise indicated, and save for the Commonwealth Coat of Arms, the Department has applied the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Australia Licence to this work.
The Department of Education and Training must be attributed as the author of the Department’s copyright material.
As far as practicable, material for which the copyright is owned by a third party has been clearly labelled. The Department has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that this material has been reproduced on this website with the full consent of the copyright owners.
Requests and enquiries concerning the Department’s copyright material should be addressed to:
People Communication and Legal Group
Department of Education and Training
GPO Box 9880 Canberra ACT 2601
Or emailed to email@example.com
Funded under the Workplace English Language and Literacy (WELL) Program by the Australian Government Department of Education and Training.
The views expressed in this website do not necessarily represent the view of the Minister for Education and Training or the Australian Government. The Australian Government does not give any warranty nor accept any liability in relation to the contents of this work.
ISBN NUMBER 978-0-9870953-3-6